The workers at the factory in the organized industrial site in the Şabanözü district of Çankırı fainted while working between 4 p.m. and 12 a.m. Some 38 people were transferred to the Şabanözü State Hospital while the others were transferred to hospitals in Çankırı and hospitals in nearby provinces.
Residents living near the organized industrial site also checked in at local hospitals after also suffering effects from the scent.
Turkey’s Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD) has determined that the chemical causing the poisoning was Tetrahydrothiophene, which spread from an inactive furniture factory at the site.
The industrial site has been temporarily closed and is expected to be opened on Jan. 18.